Wednesday 25 September 2013

Stronglifts 5x5 Review. A beginners workout routine. Building a strong foundation for a life of fitness.

I came across Stronglifts 5×5, on the forums of many bodybuilding and fitness websites, many people recommended it as a great beginners routine that used linear progression as its foundation. About 12 months ago I began my journey to fitness. I've followed the program consistently for about 6 months and then always using the compounds outlined in this guide as the basis of any of my workouts at the gym I continued to make progress for the remaining 6 months. I definitely feel I have enough experience for a detailed Stronglifts 5×5 review.

The Program:
The workouts are very simple and easy to follow, ideal for beginners. There are two workouts using only three separate movements three days a week. An example:- Start on Monday with workout A then you would do workout B on Wednesday, and workout A again on Friday. The following week you would rotate. Monday perform workout B, workout A on Wednesday, and workout B again on Friday, and keep alternating each week. The entire description can be found at: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5×5-beginner-strength-training-program/


Workout A: 
  • Squats 5×5
  • Bench press 5×5
  • Barbell rows 5×5

Workout B: 
  • Squats 5×5
  • Shoulder press 5×5
  • Deadlift 1×5

The most interesting aspect of Stronglifts is that it includes squats every single day of the workout. It seems like a lot of work, but I knew Squats are very important, and I wanted to stick to the exact program outlined by Mehdi Hadim. The other major point to the program is that linear progression is used ie:- add 5 pounds (2.5kg) to each lift every time you do a workout.
For example, if Monday for squats you do 5×5 at 50lbs (22.5kg), then Wednesday you would do 5×5 at 55lbs (25kg). Each exercise uses 5×5 set/rep and plus 5 pounds per workout scheme except for deadlifts. For deadlifts you only do 1 set of 5 reps and add 10 pounds(4.5kg) per workout. (Well until progress begins to stall.)


Analysis:
I performed the program for about 6 months, and was very pleased with my results. My weight dropped from 104kg to 95kg and at the end of the 6 months, I was the strongest I had ever been.

Because I was a beginner it was important to start with just the bar (20kg/44lb) and give me time to get used to the new demands I was placing upon my body, also using lighter weights gave me time to focus on perfecting my form.

This routine would also suit a woman looking to make a change in her body.

Benefits:-

1)
The workouts aren’t very long. On average, I would complete each workout in 45-50 minutes.

2) The exercises performed are all compound movements, so your valuable gym time is put too good use and you get more bang for your buck by activating the most muscle fibres with the least amount of exercises/reps.

3) It's a very simple routine that any beginner can easily make and track their own progress.

4) There is a spread sheet provided to track your progress.

5) It's 100% FREE! ... I like free ;)

Negatives:-

1) Squats three times per week can be hard work especially once the weights start to get really heavy. I do acknowledge that squats are one of the best exercises a person can do, so I understand the reasoning behind it.

2) When you start out with just the bar the demands put on your body seem to be minimal and you feel a bit silly in the gym. But i cannot stress this enough! stick with the program and do it exactly as outlined! soon enough you will be lifting some serious weights .. and start to turn heads in the gym.

Conclusion:
I would definitely recommend this program to someone looking to get into weight lifting or just general fitness and weight loss. It is a very good program to get started and build a foundation of muscle and strength. The workouts are easy to follow, takes a little amount of time, and are only performed three days per week. If you are interested in starting the StrongLifts 5×5 program, I would definitely read Mehdi’s StrongLifts report first which can be found here: http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5×5-report/ (its free)

1 comment:

  1. I started this yesterday using the recommended weight with barbells... My future dilemma is I don't have a squat rack in my gym.... Ughhhh so dissapointing!

    ReplyDelete